Our latest Green Collar Job Q&A is with Simon Williams. Now, we haven’t actually met (or interacted) with Simon (yet) but we have with Sue Coutts (from Wanaka Wastebusters) who passed on the Green Collar Job Q&A to a few of the people who work for Wastebusters and Simon is one of them. He is the Enviroschools Facilitator, Zero Waste Educator and graphic designer at Wanaka Wastebusters.
Education for sustainability is Simon’s thing. For the last 3 – 4 years he has facilitated EfS within the Lakes District of Aotearoa, New Zealand, with the local early childhood, primary, high schools, youth groups & community. He delivers the Enviroschools and Zero Waste Education programmes with passion, energy and commitment. Simon loves working at Wanaka Wastebusters, the dynamic and energetic way of working really suits. When he’s not immersed in EfS he uses his graphic design and photography skills to promote sustainable living to his community.
Simon is part of a growing number of people who are using their skills to further sustainable living ideals – thanks Simon for your answers!
1. What do you do to live more sustainably (with a low impact) in your life?
I try to minimise my waste, am conscious of home energy consumption, I buy quality products that I expect to last a long time.
2. How do you live more sustainably at work?
Print as little as possible, recycle and compost my waste, make the most of travelling, using the least amount of energy possible, promote sustainable practices to many people I work with.
3. What do you think is the biggest environmental issue we need to deal with in Christchurch/New Zealand?
That more, big and economic growth are best.
4. What makes you smile?
snowboarding, amongst many other things, and the colour yellow.
5. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People talking using only clichés and power terms, it tells me they don’t fully understand what they are talking about and it’s so ambiguous….grrrrrrrrrrrrr
6. What is your favourite colour and why?
White because it is a combination of every colour…….then yellow because it makes me smile
7. Do you have a favourite place in the world? Describe why?
2nd pipe at Treble cone……it’s so much fun
8. What’s your connection to SIFT?
I don’t have one
9. Do you remember your favourite teacher and why they were your favourite?
I’ve had many favourite teachers, the ones who inspire me to change the way I think and question my staid opinions
10. What do you want to leave behind?
11. What do you think the future will bring?
Fun and lots of smiles on top of many heart wrenching tears
12. Who is someone you really admire and why?
Richard Feynman – One of the world greatest thinkers with the ability to communicate amazingly complex things with everyone in a fun and engaging fashion.
13. What is happening outside your window right now?
I don’t have a window right now.
14. What is your favourite breakfast?
15. What is the best piece of advice you can give us?
Don’t talk to me in clichés